Sexual abuse is the involvement of children in sexual activities that they cannot understand, for which they are not developmentally prepared, to which they cannot give informed consent, and/or that violate societal norms.
- Ranges from oral, genital, or anal contact; fondling; child pornography; prostitution; exhibitionism; and voyeurism
- Twenty-five percent of perpetrators are parents, and 30% are non-parental relatives.
- Most children sexually abused will have no discernible physical injury.
- ∼150,000 substantiated cases/year; most likely underestimates the incidence as these include only those cases reported
- Prevalence rates between 10 and 30%. The National Violence Survey reported 27% of adult women and 16 % adult men reported sexual abuse during childhood.
- Peak age of vulnerability: 7–13 years of age
- Girls are victimized more than boys, although abuse of boys is underreported.
- Single-parent households, domestic violence, parental substance abuse and mental illness
- Children who experience other types of abuse are also more likely to be victimized sexually.
- Race and socioeconomic status do not appear to be risk factors for child sexual abuse.
- Risk factors for revictimization: younger aged children; more severe maltreatment; families with mental health and substance abuse problems and violence histories
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Cabana, Michael D., editor. "Sexual Abuse." Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics, 7th ed., Wolters Kluwer Health, 2015. Medicine Central, im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14187/all/Sexual_Abuse.
Sexual Abuse. In: Cabana MDM, ed. Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics. Wolters Kluwer Health; 2015. https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14187/all/Sexual_Abuse. Accessed May 29, 2023.
Sexual Abuse. (2015). In Cabana, M. D. (Ed.), Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics (7th ed.). Wolters Kluwer Health. https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14187/all/Sexual_Abuse
Sexual Abuse [Internet]. In: Cabana MDM, editors. Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics. Wolters Kluwer Health; 2015. [cited 2023 May 29]. Available from: https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14187/all/Sexual_Abuse.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Sexual Abuse ID - 14187 ED - Cabana,Michael D, BT - Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics UR - https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14187/all/Sexual_Abuse PB - Wolters Kluwer Health ET - 7 DB - Medicine Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -