is a topic covered in the Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Medicine Central™ is a quick-consult mobile and web resource that includes diagnosis, treatment, medications, and follow-up information on over 700 diseases and disorders, providing fast answers—anytime, anywhere. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Appearance of pubic hair younger than age 8 years in girls and age 9 years in boys
- Recent data suggest that the age of normal sexual development onset in girls is younger than previously recognized, but lowering of the traditionally accepted limits remains subject to debate.
- Axillary hair, acne, and apocrine sweat gland secretion are not always present with premature adrenarche.
- No other signs of sexual development are exhibited. Presence of breast development in girls or testicular enlargement in boys suggests precocious puberty and not premature adrenarche.
- Occurs independently of hypothalamic–pituitary–gonadal axis activation
Often sporadic. Familial patterns suggesting recessive and dominant inheritance have been described.
- Concentrations of adrenal steroids such as dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) and dehydroepiandrosterone-sulfate (DHEA-S) increase earlier than typically seen in normal puberty.
- Adrenal zona reticularis normally begins to increase androgen secretion at age 7–8 years.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Cabana, Michael D., editor. "Premature Adrenarche." Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics, 7th ed., Wolters Kluwer Health, 2015. Medicine Central, im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14185/all/Premature_Adrenarche.
Premature Adrenarche. In: Cabana MD, ed. Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics. 7th ed. Wolters Kluwer Health; 2015. https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14185/all/Premature_Adrenarche. Accessed October 19, 2019.
Premature Adrenarche. (2015). In Cabana, M. D. (Ed.), Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics. Available from https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14185/all/Premature_Adrenarche
Premature Adrenarche [Internet]. In: Cabana MD, editors. Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics. Wolters Kluwer Health; 2015. [cited 2019 October 19]. Available from: https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14185/all/Premature_Adrenarche.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Premature Adrenarche
ID - 14185
ED - Cabana,Michael D,
BT - Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics
UR - https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14185/all/Premature_Adrenarche
PB - Wolters Kluwer Health
ET - 7
DB - Medicine Central
DP - Unbound Medicine