- Eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE) is a chronic immune-mediated esophageal disease characterized clinically by variable symptoms of esophageal dysfunction and pathologically by localized eosinophilic inflammation.
- The diagnosis is established in symptomatic patients who have the following:
- At least 15 eosinophils/HPF isolated to the esophagus on endoscopic biopsies
- Persistent eosinophilic infiltrate in esophageal biopsies after a trial of proton pump inhibitor (PPI) therapy
- Incidence rates range from 0.7 to 10 per 100,000 person-years, and prevalence from 0.2 to 43 per 100,000.
- 3:1 male-to-female ratio
- Peaks of onset in childhood and 3rd–4th decade
- The exact pathophysiology of EoE is unknown but likely involves an immune response to environmental antigens in genetically predisposed individuals.
- Environmental factors (food and possibly aeroallergens) trigger inflammatory response mediated by type 2 T-helper (Th2) cells.
- Genetic polymorphisms which predispose to EoE include eotaxin-3, thymic stromal lymphopoietin, and filaggrin.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Cabana, Michael D., editor. "Eosinophilic Esophagitis." Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics, 7th ed., Wolters Kluwer Health, 2015. Medicine Central, im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14169/all/Eosinophilic_Esophagitis.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis. In: Cabana MDM, ed. Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics. Wolters Kluwer Health; 2015. https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14169/all/Eosinophilic_Esophagitis. Accessed June 5, 2023.
Eosinophilic Esophagitis. (2015). In Cabana, M. D. (Ed.), Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics (7th ed.). Wolters Kluwer Health. https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14169/all/Eosinophilic_Esophagitis
Eosinophilic Esophagitis [Internet]. In: Cabana MDM, editors. Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics. Wolters Kluwer Health; 2015. [cited 2023 June 05]. Available from: https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14169/all/Eosinophilic_Esophagitis.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Eosinophilic Esophagitis ID - 14169 ED - Cabana,Michael D, BT - Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics UR - https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14169/all/Eosinophilic_Esophagitis PB - Wolters Kluwer Health ET - 7 DB - Medicine Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -