Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis
is a topic covered in the Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Medicine Central™ is a quick-consult mobile and web resource that includes diagnosis, treatment, medications, and follow-up information on over 700 diseases and disorders, providing fast answers—anytime, anywhere. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Slipped capital femoral epiphysis (SCFE) is displacement of the epiphysis of the head of the femur.
- Males > females (3:2)
- Left hip twice as often as right, 25% bilateral
- Associated with obesity, increased height, genital underdevelopment, pituitary tumors, growth hormone therapy
- 1–5 per 100,000
- Age of onset: boys, 14–16 years; girls, 11–13 years (essentially, premenarche)
5% of children affected have a parent with SCFE.
- Unclear: abnormal stress on normal physeal plate versus a process that weakens the plate
- The femoral head slips posteriorly and inferiorly, exposing the anterior and superior aspects of the metaphysis of the femoral neck.
Commonly Associated Conditions
- Endocrine dysfunction
- Primary hypothyroidism
- Pituitary dysfunction
- Pelvic radiotherapy
- Renal rickets
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Cabana, Michael D., editor. "Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis." Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics, 7th ed., Wolters Kluwer Health, 2015. Medicine Central, im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14098/all/Slipped_Capital_Femoral_Epiphysis.
Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis. In: Cabana MD, ed. Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics. 7th ed. Wolters Kluwer Health; 2015. https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14098/all/Slipped_Capital_Femoral_Epiphysis. Accessed April 25, 2019.
Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis. (2015). In Cabana, M. D. (Ed.), Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics. Available from https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14098/all/Slipped_Capital_Femoral_Epiphysis
Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis [Internet]. In: Cabana MD, editors. Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics. Wolters Kluwer Health; 2015. [cited 2019 April 25]. Available from: https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14098/all/Slipped_Capital_Femoral_Epiphysis.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis
ID - 14098
ED - Cabana,Michael D,
BT - Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics
UR - https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14098/all/Slipped_Capital_Femoral_Epiphysis
PB - Wolters Kluwer Health
ET - 7
DB - Medicine Central
DP - Unbound Medicine