Increased pulmonary vascular resistance
Incidence in children is unknown.
- Structural alterations in pulmonary vessel architecture (remodeling)
- Smooth muscle hypertrophy
- Extension of blood vessel’s smooth muscle into smaller vessels
- Hypoxemia-induced pulmonary hypertension
- Chronic lung disease
- Cystic fibrosis
- Bronchopulmonary dysplasia
- Interstitial lung disease
- Diaphragmatic hernia with secondary pulmonary hypoplasia
- Upper airway obstruction
- Tonsillar and/or adenoid hypertrophy
- Neurologically mediated process
- Secondary to muscular weakness
- High pulmonary blood flow secondary to left-to-right shunting (seen in congenital heart disease)
- Patent ductus arteriosus
- Atrial septal defect
- Ventricular septal defect
- Left-sided cardiac disorders that increase pulmonary venous pressure
- Left ventricular failure
- Mitral valve stenosis
- Obstructed anomalous pulmonary veins
- Occlusion of pulmonary vessels
- Sickle cell disease
- Veno-occlusive disease
- Pulmonary vasculitis
- Systemic lupus erythematosus
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn
- Idiopathic cases (primary pulmonary hypertension)
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Cabana, Michael D., editor. "Pulmonary Hypertension." Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics, 7th ed., Wolters Kluwer Health, 2015. Medicine Central, im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14078/all/Pulmonary_Hypertension.
Pulmonary Hypertension. In: Cabana MDM, ed. Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics. Wolters Kluwer Health; 2015. https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14078/all/Pulmonary_Hypertension. Accessed June 2, 2023.
Pulmonary Hypertension. (2015). In Cabana, M. D. (Ed.), Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics (7th ed.). Wolters Kluwer Health. https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14078/all/Pulmonary_Hypertension
Pulmonary Hypertension [Internet]. In: Cabana MDM, editors. Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics. Wolters Kluwer Health; 2015. [cited 2023 June 02]. Available from: https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14078/all/Pulmonary_Hypertension.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Pulmonary Hypertension ID - 14078 ED - Cabana,Michael D, BT - Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics UR - https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14078/all/Pulmonary_Hypertension PB - Wolters Kluwer Health ET - 7 DB - Medicine Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -