Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
- Trauma, sepsis, shock, burns
- Multiple transfusions
- DIC, TTP
- Drugs: opioids, aspirin, phenothiazines, tricyclic antidepressants, amiodarone, chemotherapeutics, nitrofurantoin, protamine
- Cardiopulmonary bypass
- Head injury
- Aspiration of gastric contents
- Embolism of thrombus, fat, air, or amniotic fluid
- Miliary tuberculosis
- Diffuse pneumonia
- Acute eosinophilic pneumonia
- Bronchiolitis obliterans organizing pneumonia (BOOP)
- Upper airway obstruction
- Freebase cocaine smoking
- Toxic gas inhalation: nitrogen dioxide, chlorine, sulfur dioxide, ammonia, smoke inhalation
- Oxygen toxicity
- Lung contusion
- High altitude exposure
- Lung re-expansion or reperfusion
- Cardiogenic (hydrostatic) pulmonary edema
- Diffuse alveolar hemorrhage
- Bronchiolitis obliterans with organizing pneumonia (BOOP)
See related DDx
Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) is a sample topic from the Diagnosaurus.
To view other topics, please log in or purchase a subscription.
Medicine Central™ is a quick-consult mobile and web resource that includes diagnosis, treatment, medications, and follow-up information on over 700 diseases and disorders, providing fast answers—anytime, anywhere. Complete Product Information.
Zeiger, Roni F.. "Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS)." Diagnosaurus, 4th ed., McGraw-Hill Education, 2015. Medicine Central, im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Diagnosaurus/114775/all/Acute_respiratory_distress_syndrome__ARDS_.
Zeiger RFR. Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). Diagnosaurus. McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Diagnosaurus/114775/all/Acute_respiratory_distress_syndrome__ARDS_. Accessed March 23, 2023.
Zeiger, R. F. (2015). Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). In Diagnosaurus (4th ed.). McGraw-Hill Education. https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Diagnosaurus/114775/all/Acute_respiratory_distress_syndrome__ARDS_
Zeiger RFR. Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) [Internet]. In: Diagnosaurus. McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. [cited 2023 March 23]. Available from: https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Diagnosaurus/114775/all/Acute_respiratory_distress_syndrome__ARDS_.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) ID - 114775 A1 - Zeiger,Roni F, BT - Diagnosaurus UR - https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Diagnosaurus/114775/all/Acute_respiratory_distress_syndrome__ARDS_ PB - McGraw-Hill Education ET - 4 DB - Medicine Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -