AST/ALT > 500-1000
- Acute viral hepatitis (ALT > AST)
- Toxic hepatitis, eg, acetaminophen
- Alcoholic hepatitis (AST < ALT)
- Cirrhosis (AST > ALT)
- Vascular: right-sided congestive heart failure, shock liver, Budd-Chiari syndrome
- Biliary tract obstruction (followed by increased alkaline phosphatase and bilirubin)
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (formerly NASH)
- Metabolic, eg, hemochromatosis, Wilson’s disease
- Liver abscess
- Hepatocellular or metastatic cancer
- Drugs, eg, INH, statins
- Heart or skeletal muscle injury
- Celiac sprue (ALT)
- Acetaminophen, Amanita mushroom, other toxins
- Viral, especially hepatitis A
- Right-sided heart failure
is a sample topic from the Diagnosaurus
To view other topics, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Medicine Central™ is a quick-consult mobile and web resource that includes diagnosis, treatment, medications, and follow-up information on over 700 diseases and disorders, providing fast answers—anytime, anywhere. Complete Product Information.
Last updated: December 1, 2014
Zeiger, Roni F.. "AST/ALT Increased." Diagnosaurus, 4th ed., McGraw-Hill Education, 2014. Medicine Central, im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Diagnosaurus/114726/all/AST_ALT_increased.
Zeiger RF. AST/ALT increased. Diagnosaurus. 4th ed. McGraw-Hill Education; 2014. https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Diagnosaurus/114726/all/AST_ALT_increased. Accessed December 11, 2019.
Zeiger, R. F. (2014). AST/ALT increased. In Diagnosaurus. Available from https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Diagnosaurus/114726/all/AST_ALT_increased
Zeiger RF. AST/ALT Increased [Internet]. In: Diagnosaurus. McGraw-Hill Education; 2014. [cited 2019 December 11]. Available from: https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Diagnosaurus/114726/all/AST_ALT_increased.
TY - ELEC
T1 - AST/ALT increased
ID - 114726
A1 - Zeiger,Roni F,
Y1 - 2014/12/01/
BT - Diagnosaurus
UR - https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Diagnosaurus/114726/all/AST_ALT_increased
PB - McGraw-Hill Education
ET - 4
DB - Medicine Central
DP - Unbound Medicine