Acute adrenal insufficiency
Primary adrenal insufficiency (Addison’s disease)
- Surgical removal or trauma
- Infection, e.g., tuberculosis, histoplasmosis
- Adrenal hemorrhage
- Metastatic cancer
- Hemochromatosis or amyloidosis
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia
Secondary adrenal insufficiency
- Pituitary failure (atrophy, necrosis, tumor)
- Exogenous steroids
- Other types of shock, e.g., septic, cardiogenic, hypovolemic, anaphylactic
- Hyperkalemia due to other causes, e.g., renal failure, rhabdomyolysis
- Hyponatremia due to other causes, e.g., SIADH, cirrhosis, vomiting
- Abdominal pain due to other causes
See related DDx
Zeiger, Roni F.. "Acute Adrenal Insufficiency." Diagnosaurus, 4th ed., McGraw-Hill Education, 2015. Medicine Central, im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Diagnosaurus/114318/all/Acute_adrenal_insufficiency.
Zeiger RFR. Acute adrenal insufficiency. Diagnosaurus. McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Diagnosaurus/114318/all/Acute_adrenal_insufficiency. Accessed June 6, 2023.
Zeiger, R. F. (2015). Acute adrenal insufficiency. In Diagnosaurus (4th ed.). McGraw-Hill Education. https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Diagnosaurus/114318/all/Acute_adrenal_insufficiency
Zeiger RFR. Acute Adrenal Insufficiency [Internet]. In: Diagnosaurus. McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. [cited 2023 June 06]. Available from: https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Diagnosaurus/114318/all/Acute_adrenal_insufficiency.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Acute adrenal insufficiency ID - 114318 A1 - Zeiger,Roni F, BT - Diagnosaurus UR - https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Diagnosaurus/114318/all/Acute_adrenal_insufficiency PB - McGraw-Hill Education ET - 4 DB - Medicine Central DP - Unbound Medicine ER -