Primary adrenal insufficiency (Addison’s disease)
- Surgical removal or trauma
- Infection, e.g., tuberculosis, histoplasmosis
- Adrenal hemorrhage
- Metastatic cancer
- Hemochromatosis or amyloidosis
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia
Secondary adrenal insufficiency
- Pituitary failure (atrophy, necrosis, tumor)
- Exogenous steroids
- Other types of shock, e.g., septic, cardiogenic, hypovolemic, anaphylactic
- Hyperkalemia due to other causes, e.g., renal failure, rhabdomyolysis
- Hyponatremia due to other causes, e.g., SIADH, cirrhosis, vomiting
- Abdominal pain due to other causes
Acute adrenal insufficiency
is a sample topic from the Diagnosaurus
To view other topics, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Medicine Central™ is a quick-consult mobile and web resource that includes diagnosis, treatment, medications, and follow-up information on over 700 diseases and disorders, providing fast answers—anytime, anywhere. Complete Product Information.
Last updated: January 14, 2015
Zeiger, Roni F.. "Acute Adrenal Insufficiency." Diagnosaurus, 4th ed., McGraw-Hill Education, 2015. Medicine Central, im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Diagnosaurus/114318/0/Acute_adrenal_insufficiency.
Zeiger RF. Acute adrenal insufficiency. Diagnosaurus. 4th ed. McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Diagnosaurus/114318/0/Acute_adrenal_insufficiency. Accessed October 20, 2019.
Zeiger, R. F. (2015). Acute adrenal insufficiency. In Diagnosaurus. Available from https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Diagnosaurus/114318/0/Acute_adrenal_insufficiency
Zeiger RF. Acute Adrenal Insufficiency [Internet]. In: Diagnosaurus. McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. [cited 2019 October 20]. Available from: https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Diagnosaurus/114318/0/Acute_adrenal_insufficiency.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Acute adrenal insufficiency
ID - 114318
A1 - Zeiger,Roni F,
Y1 - 2015/01/14/
BT - Diagnosaurus
UR - https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Diagnosaurus/114318/0/Acute_adrenal_insufficiency
PB - McGraw-Hill Education
ET - 4
DB - Medicine Central
DP - Unbound Medicine