Complementary/Alternative Medicine: This monograph describes a natural or herbal product that is not subject to FDA guidelines for medicines. Patients and clinicians are advised to read package labels carefully to ensure safe and efficacious use.
- antialopecia factor
- vitamin B8
- Respiratory distress syndrome (RDS).
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).
- Panic disorder.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Lithium-induced psoriasis.
Inositol is an essential component of cell membrane phospholipids. It is a constituent of the intracellular phosphatidyl inositol second messenger system which is linked to serotonin, norepinephrine, and cholinergic receptors. It may have similar benefits as SSRIs in panic disorder and OCD. It induces ovulation by improving insulin sensitivity in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Inositol helps psoriasis triggered by lithium through an unknown mechanism. In infants with RDS, inositol lowers inspiratory oxygen requirements, mean airway pressure, and bronchopulmonary dysplasia incidence in premature infants not receiving surfactant when compared to placebo.
- Improvement in OCD and panic disorder symptoms.
- Induces ovulation in polycystic ovary syndrome.
- Improved RDS symptoms in infants with RDS.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown.
Use Cautiously in:
- Bipolar disorder;
- Pregnancy and lactation.
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
CNS: headache, dizziness, fatigue
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
Natural Drug Interaction
PO: (Adults) Panic disorder–12–18 grams/day. OCD–18 grams/day. Polycystic ovary syndrome–1200 mg/day. Lithium-induced psoriasis–6 grams/day.
IV: Infants RDS–80 mg/kg/day.
- Assess is dependent on use; assess area appropriate for use.
- Deficient knowledge, related to medication regimen (Patient/Family/Teaching)
- PO: Administer with meals.
- Instruct patient to take as directed.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
Improvement in area of use.
Medicine Central™ is a quick-consult mobile and web resource that includes diagnosis, treatment, medications, and follow-up information on over 700 diseases and disorders, providing fast answers—anytime, anywhere. Complete Product Information.