Complementary/Alternative Medicine: This monograph describes a natural or herbal product that is not subject to FDA guidelines for medicines. Patients and clinicians are advised to read package labels carefully to ensure safe and efficacious use.
- herba menthae
- menta piperita
- Abdominal cramps.
Peppermint reduces slow wave frequency in the small intestine, slows peristalsis and directly relaxes gastrointestinal smooth muscle. When applied topically, it has a direct inhibitory effect on sensitized pain receptors and may act centrally to alter pain perception.
- Decreased gastrointestinal spasm.
- Decreased pain sensation.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown
Use Cautiously in:
Pregnancy and lactation when using medicinal amounts (above those amounts commonly found in foods).
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
Derm: contact dermatitis, flushing
GI: heartburn, nausea, vomiting, stomatitis
Misc: allergic reactions
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
Natural Drug Interaction
- antacids, H2 antagonists and proton pump inhibitors may cause premature dissolution of enteric-coated peppermint products.
- May ↑ cyclosporine levels.
PO (Adults): Dyspepsia– 1 mL of oil three times daily; Digestive disorders– 0.2–0.4 mL (1–2 enteric-coated capsules) three times daily; Tea– prepare with dried leaves/250 mL boiling water: 3–4 cups daily or 1.5–3 g peppermint oil/150 mL water: 1 cup three times daily.
Topical (Adults): Headache– 10% peppermint oil in ethanol solution apply to forehead and temples, repeat after 15 and 30 minutes.
Enteric-coated capsules: 0.2 mL oil/capsule
- Assess pain (intensity, location, duration) prior to and periodically during therapy.
- Acute pain (Indications)
- PO Administer as directed.
- Instruct patient to take peppermint as directed.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
- Decrease in abdominal pain or dyspepsia.
- Decrease in headache pain.
Medicine Central™ is a quick-consult mobile and web resource that includes diagnosis, treatment, medications, and follow-up information on over 700 diseases and disorders, providing fast answers—anytime, anywhere. Complete Product Information.