Complementary/Alternative Medicine: This monograph describes a natural or herbal product that is not subject to FDA guidelines for medicines. Patients and clinicians are advised to read package labels carefully to ensure safe and efficacious use.
- Brewer's yeast
anti irritable bowel syndrome agents
- Treatment and prevention of diarrhea
- Irritable bowel syndrome.
Saccharomyces boulardii is a non-pathogenic yeast used to colonize the gastrointestinal tract.
Reduced number of bowel movements.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown
- Hypersensitivity to yeast.
Use Cautiously in:
- Pregnancy and lactation;
- Immunocompromised patients (↑ risk of fungemia)
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
GI: bloating, constipation, flatulence
Misc: fungemia, ↑ thirst
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
Natural Drug Interaction
Antifungals may decrease effectiveness of Saccharomyces boulardii
PO (Adults): 250–500 mg two to four times a day.
Capsules: 250 mg
- Assess patient for abdominal distention, presence of bowel sounds, and usual pattern of bowel function.
- Assess color, consistency, and amount of stool produced.
Lab Test Considerations:
Monitor CBC periodically during therapy.
- Diarrhea (Indications)
- PO Administer as directed.
- Instruct patient to take as directed.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
Resolution of diarrhea and decrease in number of loose stools.
To view other topics, please log in or purchase a subscription.
Medicine Central™ is a quick-consult mobile and web resource that includes diagnosis, treatment, medications, and follow-up information on over 700 diseases and disorders, providing fast answers—anytime, anywhere. Complete Product Information.