Complementary/Alternative Medicine: This monograph describes a natural or herbal product that is not subject to FDA guidelines for medicines. Patients and clinicians are advised to read package labels carefully to ensure safe and efficacious use.
- Prevention of lutein deficiency.
- Prevention of age-related macular degeneration (AMD), cataracts, and retinitis pigmentosa.
Lutein is a carotenoid with antioxidant properties that protect underlying ocular tissues from photodamage.
Decreased risk of development of AMD and cataracts.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown.
Use Cautiously in:
Cystic fibrosis (decreased lutein absorption).
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
Natural Drug Interaction
- Orlistat may cause ↓ lutein absorption.
- Alcohol (↓ plasma lutein), cholestyramine and colestipol (↓ lutein absorption), CYP450-metabolized agents (alters enzyme activity), mineral oil (↓ lutein absorption), nicotine ↓ plasma lutein), retinol (↑ plasma lutein), may interact with agents with similar effects or related mechanisms of action (antidiabetic, antilipemic, antioxidant, antineoplastic ), ↓ vitamin E levels.
Concomitant administration with beta-carotene may reduce bioavailability of lutein.
PO (Adults): 6–20 mg/day.
Softgels: 6 mg, 20 mg
- Obtain ophthalmic examinations at least yearly during therapy.
- Deficient knowledge, related to medication regimen (Patient/Family/Teaching)
- PO Administer capsules once daily.
- Instruct patient to take as directed.
- Instruct patient to notify health care professional of all Rx or OTC medications, vitamins, or herbal products being taken and to consult with health care professional before taking other medications.
- Advise female patient to notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
Decrease in risk or cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
Medicine Central™ is a quick-consult mobile and web resource that includes diagnosis, treatment, medications, and follow-up information on over 700 diseases and disorders, providing fast answers—anytime, anywhere. Complete Product Information.