Knee Pain, Anterior/Patellofemoral Malalignment Syndrome
is a topic covered in the Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Medicine Central™ is a quick-consult mobile and web resource that includes diagnosis, treatment, medications, and follow-up information on over 700 diseases and disorders, providing fast answers—anytime, anywhere. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Condition characterized by discomfort at the anterior aspect of the knee that is generally associated with activities, especially those that involve running, jumping, and climbing stairs
- Has also been called “miserable malalignment syndrome”
- Predisposing factors for patellofemoral malalignment syndrome include the following:
- Femoral anteversion
- Genu valgus
- Pes planus
- These three anatomic features have been commonly referred to as a terrible triad contributing to anterior knee pain. Because the entire kinetic chain is linked in function, malalignment at one area can lead to secondary stresses at a distant location.
- Excess femoral anteversion, as well as marked pes planus, can contribute to increased lateral pull on the patella and subsequent patellofemoral pain.
- Further contributing factors include a wider pelvis and a more laterally positioned tibial tubercle, both of which also contribute to altered biomechanics at the knee.
- Weak hip abductors and quadriceps muscles and tight hamstrings, iliotibial band, Achilles tendon, and quadriceps can lead to increased forces across the patellofemoral joint.
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Cabana, Michael D., editor. "Knee Pain, Anterior/Patellofemoral Malalignment Syndrome." Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics, 7th ed., Wolters Kluwer Health, 2015. Medicine Central, im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14214/all/Knee_Pain__Anterior_Patellofemoral_Malalignment_Syndrome.
Knee Pain, Anterior/Patellofemoral Malalignment Syndrome. In: Cabana MD, ed. Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics. 7th ed. Wolters Kluwer Health; 2015. https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14214/all/Knee_Pain__Anterior_Patellofemoral_Malalignment_Syndrome. Accessed April 24, 2019.
Knee Pain, Anterior/Patellofemoral Malalignment Syndrome. (2015). In Cabana, M. D. (Ed.), Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics. Available from https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14214/all/Knee_Pain__Anterior_Patellofemoral_Malalignment_Syndrome
Knee Pain, Anterior/Patellofemoral Malalignment Syndrome [Internet]. In: Cabana MD, editors. Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics. Wolters Kluwer Health; 2015. [cited 2019 April 24]. Available from: https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14214/all/Knee_Pain__Anterior_Patellofemoral_Malalignment_Syndrome.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Knee Pain, Anterior/Patellofemoral Malalignment Syndrome
ID - 14214
ED - Cabana,Michael D,
BT - Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics
UR - https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14214/all/Knee_Pain__Anterior_Patellofemoral_Malalignment_Syndrome
PB - Wolters Kluwer Health
ET - 7
DB - Medicine Central
DP - Unbound Medicine