Often benign, self-limited inflammatory process of an intervertebral disk
>50% of the cases occur in children <4 years of age.
- Peak incidence is between 0 and 2 years of age.
- Second peak: >10 years
- Probably of infectious etiology by an indolent organism
- Usually none identified; occasionally, Staphylococcus aureus, Moraxella, or the Enterobacteriaceae are cultured.
- Kingella kingae has been implicated in ages 6 months to 4 years old.
- Can be a late complication after ingested button battery is removed
Idiopathic, infectious, or traumatic
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.