is a topic covered in the Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics
To view the entire topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription.
Medicine Central™ is a quick-consult mobile and web resource that includes diagnosis, treatment, medications, and follow-up information on over 700 diseases and disorders, providing fast answers—anytime, anywhere. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Jaundice: a yellow or green/yellow hue to the skin, sclerae, and mucous membranes which can be appreciated at serum bilirubin levels >2 mg/dL. Intensity of color is directly related to the serum bilirubin level.
- Unconjugated bilirubin: 80% is due to hemoglobin turnover and 20% is from degradation of hepatic and renal heme proteins. It is a hydrophobic compound that must be carried to the liver by albumin for processing.
- Conjugated bilirubin: conjugated to glucuronic acid in the liver, a water-soluble derivative that helps lipid emulsification and absorption
- Conjugated hyperbilirubinemia (direct hyperbilirubinemia): a conjugated bilirubin of >2 mg/dL or >20% of the total bilirubin
The most common causes of pathologic jaundice are as follows:
- Newborn period: biliary atresia, idiopathic neonatal hepatitis, α-1-antitrypsin deficiency, infection
- Older child: autoimmune hepatitis, viral hepatitis, Wilson disease, biliary obstruction
-- To view the remaining sections of this topic, please sign in or purchase a subscription --
Cabana, Michael D., editor. "Jaundice." Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics, 7th ed., Wolters Kluwer Health, 2015. Medicine Central, im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14067/all/Jaundice.
Jaundice. In: Cabana MD, ed. Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics. 7th ed. Wolters Kluwer Health; 2015. https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14067/all/Jaundice. Accessed August 21, 2019.
Jaundice. (2015). In Cabana, M. D. (Ed.), Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics. Available from https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14067/all/Jaundice
Jaundice [Internet]. In: Cabana MD, editors. Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics. Wolters Kluwer Health; 2015. [cited 2019 August 21]. Available from: https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14067/all/Jaundice.
TY - ELEC
T1 - Jaundice
ID - 14067
ED - Cabana,Michael D,
BT - Select 5-Minute Pediatrics Topics
UR - https://im.unboundmedicine.com/medicine/view/Select-5-Minute-Pediatric-Consult/14067/all/Jaundice
PB - Wolters Kluwer Health
ET - 7
DB - Medicine Central
DP - Unbound Medicine