Complementary/Alternative Medicine: This monograph describes a natural or herbal product that is not subject to FDA guidelines for medicines. Patients and clinicians are advised to read package labels carefully to ensure safe and efficacious use.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Monounsaturated Fatty Acid
- Omega-9 Fatty Acids
- Cardiovascular disease.
Phenols present in olive oil have antioxidant, vasodilating, and antiplatelet properties. Olive oil also improves endothelial tissue function and decreases LDL cholesterol's contribution to atherogenesis in patients with hypercholesterolemia.
- Decreased BP.
- Decreased total cholesterol levels.
Metabolism and Excretion: Unknown
Use Cautiously in:
- Pregnancy and lactation (avoid using in amounts greater than those found in foods)
Adverse Reactions/Side Effects
Derm: contact dermatitis (topical)
* CAPITALS indicate life-threatening.
Underline indicate most frequent.
Natural Drug Interaction
- May have additive hypoglycemic effects with antidiabetic agents.
- May have additive hypotensive effects with antihypertensive agents.
PO: (Adults) Constipation– 30 mL of oil; Hypertension– 30–40 grams/day; Hyperlipidemia– 23 grams/day (2 tablespoons); Reduction of risk of first myocardial infarction– 54 grams/day.
- Assess patient for abdominal distention, presence of bowel sounds, and usual pattern of bowel function.
- Assess color, consistency, and amount of stool produced
- Obtain a diet history, especially with regard to fat consumption.
Lab Test Considerations:
Monitor serum cholesterol levels before and periodically during therapy.
- Constipation (Indications)
- Deficient knowledge, related to diet and medication regimen (Patient/Family/Teaching)
- PO: Administer as directed.
- Instruct patient to take as directed.
- Advice female patient to avoid taking more than is in normal food intake. Notify health care professional if pregnancy is planned or suspected or if breastfeeding.
- Soft, formed bowel movement when used for constipation.
- Reduction in serum cholesterol levels.
Medicine Central™ is a quick-consult mobile and web resource that includes diagnosis, treatment, medications, and follow-up information on over 700 diseases and disorders, providing fast answers—anytime, anywhere. Learn more.