Medicine Central™ is a quick-consult mobile and web resource that includes diagnosis, treatment, medications, and follow-up information on over 700 diseases and disorders, providing fast answers—anytime, anywhere. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
- Long-standing and progressive destruction of pancreatic tissue due to persistent inflammation
- Results in exocrine and/or endocrine insufficiency
- Major features
- Diabetes mellitus (type 3)
- Increased risk of pancreatic cancer
Predominant age: 35 to 45 years (usually related to alcohol abuse)
- Predominant sex: male > female
- Hospitalization more common for blacks than whites
Hereditary pancreatitis is a rare condition with an autosomal dominant inheritance pattern; mutations in PRSS1 gene and SPINKI gene
- Avoid tobacco.
- Avoid excess alcohol.